Wednesday, August 11, 2010

Chicago Market Days


When I was in Atlanta last year, I met a bear named Scott at a pool party. By fate, we were both sharing a hot tub together. We got to chatting and found out that we knew this blogger in common. We kept in touch via email, text, and FB. Last month, he asked if I wanted to come up to Chicago for Market Days. In a spontaneous decision, I said "Sure... why not?"

In Chicago, I settled down in a three bedroom apartment where I met Scott's boyfriend Craig and his other friends all staying at the same place. All were typical big city fags... flashy, flamboyant, and fierce each in their own way. Scott made sure we were all well-fed each morning. He cooked me the most fabulous breakfast burrito! Mmm...

They were instantly drawn to my distinct southern accent. It amused them. As we southerners are often subjected to, I was asked to pronouce certain words. They would fall out of their chairs laughing. Honestly, it didn't offend me. I couldn't help but think how dreadfully boring the Midwestern accent is. It's ordinary... bereft of emotion. Poor Midwesterners. So common art thou.

Surprisingly, I was not high maintenance to my hosts. I spent a good chunk of time with others like Bill (above). We were introduced via FB through our mutual friend Chad. He was easy going and very pleasant to hang out with. We enjoyed spending many hours together at Sidetracks (showtunes) and Roscoes.

The biggest surprise of the weekend was how much time I spent hanging with my buddy "MP". Even though MP lives in New Orleans, we hangout only sparingly. In a far away Yankee city, we went to the gym daily, hung out with Bill, and even ate together at Chipotle Mexican Grill. My fondest moment together was when we were mutually texting a shit-stirring buddy of mine named Scott.

This is me and MP:





I was happy I made the decision to go to Chicago. I met a lot of friendly people during the trip... especially a special someone. ;)

10 Comments:

Blogger WranglerMan said...

What words were they asking you to pronounce? Were they the variety that make Southern boys blush? Next time come to New York...you'll be too busy with the action here to talk much!!!!

Your guns look mighty fine!!!

August 11, 2010  
Blogger Raybeard said...

This laughing-at-your-accent business, after a while, can get a bit wearing. When I moved to southern England, having been brought up in the north-east, my accent amused (and still does) the 'natives' here. Then when I moved to Germany, where I lived for 3 years, my English accent when speaking German was often the occasion for wild amusement. I found that one can take so much in good heart - but there are definitely limits. Good to read that you yourself are not short of patience.
Btw great pics - particularly of the doggy! Thanks, pal.

August 11, 2010  
Blogger Jeff in Toledo said...

"...dreadfully boring the Midwestern accent..."

Ya, right. Which regional accent is that people automatically deduct 10 I.Q. points whenenver it is spoken?

August 11, 2010  
Blogger mikeinbama said...

Still cute as ever! Join the College Football Challenge I'm putting together again this year. YOU HAVE TO REDEEM YOURSELF!

ALABAMA wins the National Championship...AGAIN! I'm coming to Baton Rouge this year, so you better be in town this year.

August 11, 2010  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Sweetie, it is time to cut back on the carbs!

August 12, 2010  
Blogger Blobby said...

"...dreadfully boring the Midwestern accent..."

Oh please. Down there, you all sound gay even when/if you're not!

August 12, 2010  
Blogger RG said...

Midwesterners all have boring accents because they're re-tahded!

Glad you had a great time. So since you met "someone special" does this mean you're back into BF mode again? Are you going to start practicing serial monogamy again? LOL

August 12, 2010  
OpenID pugville said...

Am I the only one that doesn't find southern accents funny? I think the are incredibly sexy. Oh well, it doesn't help that I live in Ohio.

August 13, 2010  
Blogger cb said...

Well, I'm glad you had a good time in the Windy Apple.

August 15, 2010  
Anonymous Sorata said...

There are so many levels of "wrongs" in the first picture...

hhaha glad you had fun :D

August 20, 2010  

Post a Comment

<< Home