Monday, April 05, 2010

In Touch


I have recently taken steps to reflect upon my character and personality. When it seemed like the universe was united against me, I knew it was time to do self-analysis. What if they were all correct? What if it is ME that is the problem? How could they ALL possibly be wrong?

I'll be honest. This has not been easy. My ego was dragged kicking and screaming. "It's a conspiracy! A trap! CRUSH THEM. Crush them all. Burn their villages. Rape their women. Enslave their children. Don't be a pussy -- they will RUE the day they ever fucked with me! Grr..."

Thankfully, the more sensible side of my Gemini self held firm. It said, "BC... you ain't conquering diddly squat. Why don't you observe how your actions affects others? Pay attention... look for clues."

So, I set out on a quest to make sense of it all. Here are some of my observations:

(1) I am ultimately responsible for my own happiness. I can't depend on others to make me happy. I have to get out there and create my own happiness.

(2) Disappointments are temporary setbacks, but shouldn't make or break me. They should not hold such the power to ruin my day or week. Everybody has their own agenda... priorities... goals. If I am deeply disappointed, then I must have erroneously given a person or event too much power over me.

(3) As much satisfaction as it would be to duct tape, tie-up, and beat the shit out of mouthy people, it's more prudent to grin and bear them. Verbally jousting with others solves no problems and can get downright ugly. Harmony can only be achieved through less violence and lowered weapons.

Once I began to realize these simple realities, I have been living a far happier life. Everyone may now breathe a sigh of relief. :)

8 Comments:

Blogger Julius Seizure - Jim to my Peeps said...

I never stopped breathing - you'd never find me up here in Coeur de l'Acadie anyway. HA!

Just remember - your new outlook shouldn't be a license for people to walk all over you. I believe the phrase is "polite discourse."

April 05, 2010  
Blogger Moby said...

Reprogramming self-defense mechanisms can be hard but it is possible. I'm certainly living proof. ;)

I have the utmost confidence in you Brett.

April 05, 2010  
Blogger Ultra Dave said...

Wow, just wow....

April 05, 2010  
Anonymous Kevin M said...

This is one of the most enlightened things you've said/written, Brett - I knew you had it in you, even if the rest of the Continuum didn't think you did.

April 06, 2010  
Blogger Blobby said...

If I am deeply disappointed, then I must have erroneously given a person or event too much power over me.

A-fuckin'-men!

April 06, 2010  
Blogger RG said...

"As much satisfaction as it would be to duct tape, tie-up, and beat the shit out of mouthy people..."

I'm kind of turned on...

April 06, 2010  
Blogger Ice John's World said...

Now there comes the peaceful lovelu side of you! How cool!

April 06, 2010  
Blogger CJ/Rick said...

Has this blog been hijacked? Where is Brett Cajun and what have you done to him?

April 06, 2010  

Post a Comment

<< Home