Monday, August 31, 2009

Evolution of a Cajun

I was in Atlanta, Georgia this weekend. This was one of those short weekend trips. Since I had a tragic beard trimming accident (shaving it all off), pictures were banned. Sorry. Without facial hair, my nose looks disproportionately large and unsightly for human eyes.

My host was this sexy Cajun, Scott, who turned 42 years old. As a younger gay at age 23, I always remembered Scott walking around the French Quarter with a nice chest and a tight shirt. He always had an entourage. I would soon learn that us Cajuns were very adapt at forming endearing friendships.

Scott has made a good life for himself. He left our po-dunk Parish to greener pastures in Houston and Atlanta. He now resides in a nice Atlanta neighborhood, has a beautiful home, drives a Porche and a Nissan Pathfinder. He even has six burners on his fancy stove top. I was quite impressed!

The weekend went by with a blur. I remember Woofs, shirtless dancing at the Heretic, a bear pool party, the "Grabby Hands" game, a brutal gym workout, quiet time on the couch watching earlier episodes of True Blood, two left feet stepping at the 3 Legged Cowboy, and a wonderful circle of friends straight out of Steel Magnolias.

While my own life may not be so glamorous, it is always nice to experience the day in the life of another. It was almost as if I were looking into a magical orb: This could be your life Grasshopper! I think of the choices I have made. I haven't defied gravity. I've settled into a comfortable life.

When I got home yesterday, the world hadn't stopped. My dogs were happy to see me, but they seemed very content. I had left them in good hands by a great friend. Heck, my baby chickens were even fine too.

I feel as if I am on the edge of a turning point in my life. Settle or Defy Gravity. Time is whittling away and that choice becomes more urgent by the day. Which will it be? Stay tuned...

14 Comments:

Blogger cb said...

Don't tell me you are thinking of pulling up roots and moving to the big city of Mobile?

August 31, 2009  
Blogger Brettcajun said...

Mobile, AL? Oh hell no! I have entertained the idea of living in a big gay mecca however.

August 31, 2009  
Blogger -Tony- said...

"Make it happen" - don't YOU DARE SETTLE! I can say from very personal experience.

August 31, 2009  
Blogger Mathias N Oz said...

And she said, hey ramblin' boy
Why don't you settle down? L.A. can't be your kind of town
There ain't no gold
And there ain't nobody like me!
I'm the number one fan
Of the man from Tennessee... errr Baton Rouge.

My word verify is Cheex...

August 31, 2009  
Blogger RG said...

How the hell am I going to fulfill my fantasy of doing the nasty with you in your barn if you no longer own one?

August 31, 2009  
Blogger ricola said...

"Settle or Defy Gravity,"
I like that.

August 31, 2009  
Blogger Blobby said...

I find weekends away means you can pretend to have it all - big city life and the relaxing one away from it all.

Soon you'll be a bit older and with those chickens. Or you can have "chickens" in the city.

Either way, they won't call you 'the colonel' for nothing. :)

August 31, 2009  
Blogger WranglerMan said...

Defy Gravity, Brett! Always look forward, but don't ever forget where you've come from.

August 31, 2009  
Blogger Brent said...

I'm glad you had a nice vacation sounds like it was a lot of fun. And regarding your nose...I think it's sexy...I know i'm weird that way.

September 01, 2009  
Blogger AJohnP said...

I think you should 'Defy Gravity' - hell, it worked for Elphaba. She's still Defying Gravity after almost 6 years on the Great White Way. Not to mention the fact that it will make for a lot of very entertaining blog entries!!

September 01, 2009  
Anonymous Neil said...

A big gay mecca? What can it be?

September 01, 2009  
Anonymous Jeff said...

Ever hear the phrase The grass is always greener on the other side of the fence? Do you know what it means?

The Shangri Las have a song called I can never go home anymore Get it and listen to it!

September 01, 2009  
Blogger Larry Ohio said...

When does a boy become a man? Some boys are forced into manhood at a very young age by circumstances beyond their control. Some boys become men upon leaving home, or upon becoming a parent. Some boys reach middle age and decide it's time to become a man. And some boys remain boys their entire lives.

Don't be so anxious to become a man Brett. Like commenter Jeff said, "The grass is always greener" and "You can never go home". That's all very much true.

The fact that you are blogging about it indicates your reluctance. Why force it? Someday when and if the time comes for you, you won't need to seek your friends' consensus, you'll just do it.

September 02, 2009  
Anonymous Justin said...

It sounds like someone is going through a mid life crisis! As for me...I always settle...but damn wouldn't it be fun to defy gravity! Since everyone else seems to be quoting a song...I am a country music fan..."All my rowdy friends have settled down" will be the picture of my life. Settle down...but don't settle. Older and wiser doesn't have to mean that you give up what you want, it just means you know what that is and how to get it. Ultimately, if you are happy with what you have, then enjoy it!

September 02, 2009  

Post a Comment

<< Home