Thursday, July 30, 2009

Nature Knows Best

Can it be true that possums are smarter than we give them credit for? Are humans meddlesome creatures that interfere too much with nature? I am beginning to think both are true.

My dog Boudreaux first discovered the possum family den yesterday. While I thought it would be fun to take pics of his discovery, I was a threat to Mama Possum's family. She got irritated and hauled ass. Two babies were left in the den, two fell off during the escape, and two hung on for dear life.

After I safely transported the two that fell off back to the den, I was racked with guilt. What have I done?! Will Mama Possum now abandon her den and these children for good? I left cereal just in case the babies were indeed abandoned and left with no food.

At noon and 9pm, the babies were still in the den with no sign of Mama Possum. The cereal was not touched. Concerned that the babies were hungry, I tossed them sliced seedless grapes and cantaloupe.

At 5am this morning, I found a sack of hen scratch (oats, corn, various seeds) ripped wide open. Mama Possum must have returned! I checked the possum den and found it completely abandoned. Half the cereal and 3/4ths of the fruit were consumed overnight. I breathed a HUGE sigh of relief.

Mama Possum must have relocated her family to a new den far away from the irritating jackass that won't leave them alone. Ahem.

18 Comments:

Blogger matty said...

Very good!

July 30, 2009  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Great ending to the possum saga :)

July 30, 2009  
Anonymous john said...

Yeah, but what about poor Rocky?

July 30, 2009  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Or maybe, this is just the beginning...

July 30, 2009  
Blogger Mike, Studio city said...

And they lived happily ever after.

July 30, 2009  
Blogger RG said...

I'm glad Mamma and her babies are gone and presumably have found a new home.

Do you think they moved to the abandoned rusted out car on blocks behind the barn? I would think that's a major step up from an abandoned door covered with a rotting tarp.

July 30, 2009  
Anonymous Jeff said...

RG - I was wondering about that myself.

July 30, 2009  
Blogger Kyle said...

GOOD KARMA DARLING... now, if late in the 4th , LSU needs a little something to pull ahead of Alabama.. you have done your part!!!!

July 30, 2009  
Anonymous heat said...

Everyone wins! Unless there's a possum commitee plotting against you now. If that's the case, I don't think you would need to feel bad about whoopin' some ass if they come back

July 31, 2009  
Blogger JC said...

I'd guess 90% of the respondents have never dealt with a possum personally and I am going to have to respectfully disagree with the prevailing sentiment.
I think your dog Boudreaux was RIGHT! - get them to move on down the line, pronto.

Every time we go down to my Mom's in Corpus, our Yorkie, Rowdy, traps a possum in the shed or in living in the bow of the boat. They poop and pee indiscriminately where ever they choose to live. Drag in and shred whatever they find to make a nest. They may be one of God's creature, but the one of the nastiest and messiest.
Sure the babies may look so cute when they are little, but they grow up into one of those pooping factories.
The only good possums do around the place is eat the fruit the squirrels knocked out of the tree, saving me from having to pick it up. I guess if you're a 'Beverly Hillbilly', you might make a stew.

I wouldn't feel guilty, they probably moved under your house now. You might want to let the 'B-dog' get in the crawl space and do an inspection!

July 31, 2009  
Anonymous jimbo said...

Why didn't you just eat them? Those young ones are probably very tender.

July 31, 2009  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Definitely a chupacabra. Killed Rocky; finished devouring the mama possum that you chased into the woods, and returned for the salad bar and some baby possum orphans. Good going, Brett.

July 31, 2009  
Blogger Lacey said...

OK I wasn't really going to leave a comment, but I noticed that the word verification was "comer" and so..well I just had to say something...

July 31, 2009  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

PETA would be proud of you!

August 01, 2009  
Blogger Ice John's World said...

Good that they moves, now you and them will all be happy.

August 01, 2009  
Blogger Joseph Stern said...

Hey man. Came across your blog randomly. Love the Louisiana feel to it. I just started my own Louisiana based blog called Liberal Louisiana, maybe you'd like to check it out. liberallouisiana.blogspot.com Have a good one, and congrats on the awesome site.

August 02, 2009  
Blogger victor said...

Hello People, I was on a holiday for a month just passing by read this interesting post its great to see that every thing here is getting more lively...thanks a lot for these keep them coming....

___________________
victor
Best place for your complete Internet marketing

August 14, 2009  
Blogger victor said...

Hello People, I was on a holiday for a month just passing by read this interesting post its great to see that every thing here is getting more lively...thanks a lot for these keep them coming....
___________________
victor
Best place for your complete Internet marketing

August 14, 2009  

Post a Comment

<< Home