Wednesday, July 08, 2009

Murder in the Hen House



Your chickens are never safe from predators. There has been a hawk flying around the farm. It looks just like the one shown in this video I found on Youtube.

If you own chickens, you tend to count them every day just to make sure nothing funny is going on. I knew my count was not going to be right this morning when I found the grisly remains of Greta Van Horn. She was rudely murdered and picked apart clean.

Rocky let me pick up the remains of Greta by the feet and carry her out without attacking me. Greta was buried under the same oak tree where Myrtle, Abigail, and Betsy are now resting. May God rest her feathery soul.

7 Comments:

Blogger A Lewis said...

Boy oh boy, that makes me sad.

July 08, 2009  
Blogger AJohnP said...

Awww...that's sad. I could never own chickens - I'd get too attached to them.

July 08, 2009  
Blogger Bigg said...

What sort of predator do you think got her? My brother raised chickens (and pigs) and he had a bad time with raccoons and weasels.

July 08, 2009  
Anonymous Kevin M said...

I realize it's the video's mistake, not yours, but there's no such species as a "chicken hawk". I suspect yours doesn't look just like this one, since I believe the bird in the video is a Prairie Hawk, a species never recorded in Louisiana.

I'm sorry about your chicken, but the hawks were here first. I know you know better, but in case your dad or anyone else gets some ideas about taking care of the hawk, it's a huge federal felony to kill one.

July 08, 2009  
Blogger Al In The County said...

We count our chickens a couple of times a day, especially since ours are still young - a month old.

We lost one in the first 48 hours, but the rest are doing okay, although they are roosting now and seem to like the shelves in the barn rather than what we have set up.

I'm sorry for the loss of Greta. May she peck in peace...

July 08, 2009  
Blogger RG said...

Sorry for the loss of your beloved chicken. It is however, and you should know this living on a farm, the circle of life. (sorry about the cliche')

July 08, 2009  
Blogger TonkaManOR said...

Survival of the fittest. Besides....chickens are meant for the fryer anyway!

July 09, 2009  

Post a Comment

<< Home