Thursday, July 09, 2009

Animal Friend


It pains me when offspring are separated from their mothers on the farm. It is a traumatic experience for both the mother and their offspring. Hearing them call for each other will send chills down your spine.

While the other colts and fillies are enjoying more time with their mothers, this filly has no one. Her mother died unexpectedly when she was only three months old.

Going by markings, I am pretty sure these pictures show them together in happier times:




She lost her mother at such a young age. I often wonder if the filly is lonely. She is still extremely shy and skittish around me. The closest I have managed to get to her is to feed her hay by hand. Any other movement startles her and she takes off running.

I check on the filly daily. There is no reason an animal should be lonely. I look foreword to the day when she let's me brush her coat.

9 Comments:

Blogger -Tony- said...

It's amazing how any animal except cats can have feelings of loneliness.

July 09, 2009  
Blogger Jay said...

Brett,

Work on imprinting her earlier and you may not have this skittish behavior you are experiencing now. It is vitally important to get in their stall when they are minutes/hours old and imprint them with human contact. It makes it so much easier when you wean, start ground work, under saddle, etc., but then, you know that...

Jay

July 09, 2009  
Blogger Brettcajun said...

Jay:

Unfortunately, they are born in a great big horse pasture from the time they are born until they are separated 6 months later. That's the way we do it because there are 18-22 foals born each year in a three month period.

July 09, 2009  
Blogger Jay said...

Brett,

That's a total bummer. When I used to breed horses, I limited it to 2 or 3 foals to make imprinting easier. It is amazing how much imprinting early can speed ground work and getting them under saddle when they are 2's or 3's.

Jay

July 09, 2009  
Blogger Ultra Dave said...

Bless the little heart! I hate to hear that, breaks my heart.

July 09, 2009  
Blogger RG said...

Poor little thing - when can she be integrated with the rest of the horses?

July 09, 2009  
Blogger Raybeard said...

I too find what you say quite heartbreaking. I wish so many people wouldn't belittle the suffering of animals just because there is always more important human suffering in the world. No, the distress of ANY sentient being is cause for sympathy - and I particularly feel for animals because their distress is so often overlooked and neglected. May she come through this quickly and find a true and comforting friend in you - perhaps even as a quasi-surrogate mother?!?

July 10, 2009  
Blogger A Lewis said...

I'd cry....there's no doubt about it. Like a baby.

July 10, 2009  
Blogger heat said...

That's very sad! I've raised horses all my life on my folk's farm and haven't ever been around something like that....I'd prolly hurt the colt by being overbearing and never leaving it alone. Good luck man, what's it's name?

July 10, 2009  

Post a Comment

<< Home