Wednesday, June 03, 2009

A Precious Intervention


Let me be crystal clear on today's topic. It is NOT healthy to excessively partake in any one activity where it becomes an addiction. We have all been there before. We deny there is a problem. Our friends try to help us. We de-friend them. Then a loud chorus of others start voicing the same exact opinion.

This makes us angry. We see our friend's concern as a conspiracy directed against us. Et tu, Brute? They are not looking after our best interests... they are traitors! They secretly covet my PRECIOUS! When we reach this point, we have gone totally insane.

As for me, I developed an unhealthy addiction to tennis. In my mind, there was nothing wrong with playing tennis 18 out of the last 21 days. Friends were worried about me getting injured or becoming anorexic.

I would get all defensive and immediately counter with, "Do you realize how bad the obesity rate is in America?!" Or... "You nonathletic fuck! I am the tennis God!!! Let's go to the tennis court right now and I'll demonstrate how well I play!"

Over time, I have seen the error of my ways and cut back on tennis. I had to buy into the fact that I did indeed have a problem. Now, my physical regimen is sensibly balanced between working out and tennis.

I see friends overindulge in their addictions all the time: sexual compulsion, raging alcoholism, heart attack inducing steroid abuse, internet addiction, D&D nerdiness, obsession over a love interest, etc.

If you suffer from any of these issues, a good friend has every right to slap the shit out of you, tell you like it is, and try to make you see the light. That is what a real friend is for. We must throw caution to the wind and trust our bond will not be broken by having that conversation.

14 Comments:

Blogger Mike said...

Brett, living in this town I have seen it all, and done some of it. The one thing I have always held sacred is my friends. They see things you can't. They feel things you sometimes refuse to feel. Nuff said bout that, Mike s.c. ca

June 03, 2009  
Anonymous Neil said...

This makes sense.

June 03, 2009  
Anonymous Jeff said...

Eh?

June 03, 2009  
Blogger The Mutant said...

Thankfully most of my friends have a balanced outlook on like so I don't have to pull them aside and tell them to "settle the fuck down with the eating/steroids/shopping/gerbils." However I'm usually the one who gets the warnings about overdoing things. Thankfully my obsessions are harmless (shutup, they are!) just annoying. But when my buddies come to me and say "enough with the 24/7 Eurovision onslaught" I'm cool enough to say, "hey look you're probably right, plus buying merchandise from obscure European countries isn't going to give the tennis-honed body of that Brettcajun chap"

Or something like that! I wouldn't call you addicted though - just severely dedicated.

June 03, 2009  
Blogger hbjock said...

Praise the Lord, he has seen the Light :)

June 03, 2009  
Blogger Rich said...

gee...taking part in a healthy aerobic activity that is interactive with other people in the outdoors, providing plenty of fresh air, muscle stimulation, and is highly enjoyable for the "user".
Why you awful,slovenly, wasteful man. get twinkie therapy NOW.
Hostess cares!

June 03, 2009  
Blogger RG said...

You were obsessing on tennis because you weren't getting any tail.

June 04, 2009  
Anonymous Jeff said...

Now if you'd realize that LSU doesn't always field the best teams in the Country.

June 04, 2009  
Blogger Ice John's World said...

Once you make it to the pro tennis and make good money then none of your friends will say anything negative!

June 04, 2009  
Blogger Sean said...

Unless you were ditching work and avoiding other social situations, I see no problem here. I'm jealous that you have the time to play so much. I'm lucky to play 3xs a week and usually have to settle for 2x.

Keep playing and keep having fun.

June 04, 2009  
Blogger Ur-spo said...

Addiction has in its definition something that a person finds difficult to stop/
has to have to feel normal/
its ongoing use is causing problems

if that fits than ya got an addiction issue.

Addictions are not black and white, rather fuzzy to sort out though.

June 04, 2009  
Blogger Mark in DE said...

Sometimes it takes the persistence of good friends to help us see what we've denied. Good for you for owning it.

June 04, 2009  
Anonymous jimbo said...

One thing to watch out for is overexertion and not giving your tired old muscles time to recover. What if you broke your ACL and could never play tennis again because you overdid it? In a way tennis and basketball can be more brutal to your body than rugby. Granted, rugby can give you a concussion, etc. but I never hear about anyone wrecking their ACL in rugby, which happens all the time in those dangerous, brutal court sports.

June 05, 2009  
Anonymous Chris said...

Actually memebr of my rugby team a few years ago tore his ACL and never played rugby again.

June 10, 2009  

Post a Comment

<< Home