Tuesday, March 03, 2009

My American Life



Sometimes I feel like Madonna. The march of time has not been kind. Watching the hairline recede further along has been downright depressing. With each passing day, more gray whiskers pop up like prairie dogs in my beard. And those crinkly old man eyes, courtesy of crow's feet, make me wince.

Growing old ranks right up there with one of the worst things that can happen to a gay man. We younger gays have always been told by elder gays that we really don't peak until we reach our 40's. Will my 40's be as fabulous as they promised?

I sure hope so. Playing tennis five days a week has kept me lean and was beneficial to my health. But who wants a lean Daddy? Daddies are supposed to be thick in every department. How else can we properly render discipline to unruly younger gays?

With the opening of a gym just a block away from work, I had the chance to drastically change up my routine. I even hired a personal trainer to ramp up my workouts. It has been a wonderful decision.

In seven short weeks, my body has become pretty solid. My quads are getting back to being bulky. My biceps are getting closer to being "respectable". I am even sprouting up new back muscles. That's an area that I tended to neglect in the past.

Getting back to being muscular should partially counter the negative consequences of the aging process. I hope! Gulp. In the meantime, I should start expecting to pay for attention next time while in DC.

I tried to be a boy
I tried to be a girl
I tried to be a mess
I tried to be the best
I guess I did it wrong
That's why I wrote this song.


I got a rooster and a tennis coach,
A lawn man and a trainer
Six hens and a Torrent.
Do you think I'm satisfied?

I'm just living out the American dream
And I just realized that nothing is what it seems

17 Comments:

Blogger Ice John's World said...

Good for you! Exercise always helps!

March 03, 2009  
Blogger cb said...

Personally I feel more handsome now than I did when I was younger.

Of course that's not saying much.

March 03, 2009  
Blogger A Lewis said...

"We younger gays have always been told by elder gays ...."
You're really pushing it BC. Really. You've got a whole lot of folks younger than you who would easily call anybody in their 30s "OLD"! Feels good, doesn't it? And my 40s -- and beyond -- will be the bomb for me. In all seriousness, I keep on getting compliments about how good, happy, and content I look. And that can't be beat -- at any age.

March 03, 2009  
Blogger dickspot said...

There are a few "layers" to this post. Layers enhanced and increased by the Comments.

Let me go back to Brett. To quote Lloyd Benson circa 1988: Brett, I know Madonna. Madonna is a friend of mine. Brett, you are NO Madonna.

LOL......... that's a joke. Google it, Bitches.

Brett, Seriously. I understand what you mean. There's a certain disconnect between young gay men and "us" {{gay men in their 40's and older.......}}

Youth and Beauty are the the "means of exchange" in gay life. If you lack one, you are expendable. If you lack both, you are Persona Non Grata.

March 03, 2009  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

time always seems to be on your side, brett. you look better than ever. you don't have to worry your adorable little head about aging at all. you're gonna be one damn hot daddy.

March 03, 2009  
Blogger RG said...

Being in my LATE 40's I can attest it gives you a certain amount of freedom to not give a shit.

Embrace the gray, the wrinkles and for the record, men with receding hair lines are sexy as hell.

Youth, is wasted on the young.

March 04, 2009  
Blogger Atari_Age said...

I can tell you that, while I still feel lowish on the self-image scale, my feelings about myself, imagewise, have vastly improved in these last years leading up to being 40 (this October!).

Honestly, I'm pretty damn hopeful that entering 40 I weill feel a million times better than how I viewed myself at 30, Compared to 20... ugh.

Maybe it's comfort with age. But more likely it's that I've learned things that work for me and things that don't and then act accordingly. Sounds like you're doing the same.

March 04, 2009  
Anonymous Dendrition said...

A guy who embraces his age and his self is so much more attractive than one who resists, resists, resists, using all the marvels of modern science and technology to keeop what is natural at bay. Show me an older guy who's self-confident, in good shape and knows how to laugh at himself and I'm right there. Show me a 45 yo with no body fat, no wrinkles on his face, a backwards-facing baseball cap and a tight-fitting Hollister t-shirt and I am fucking gagging....

March 04, 2009  
Blogger (F)redddy said...

As a forty year old, I wish I looked as half as good as you do. Whatever you're doing, keep it up. I know you keep it up keeps it up for me! :-)

March 04, 2009  
OpenID mathewphilip said...

ah, as a friend of mine once said...

I remember 40.. it was ah, 40 years ago...

this post made me smile...

March 04, 2009  
Blogger Ur-spo said...

Growing old ranks right up there with one of the worst things that can happen to a gay man. We younger gays have always been told by elder gays that we really don't peak until we reach our 40's. Will my 40's be as fabulous as they promised?

Think of it this way.
I know many gay men who did not live to see 40 years old. So I try to tell those who do make 40 to see it as a gift. I know many who would have given all for seeing 40.
And being in your 40s ain't so bad.They can be as fabulous as you make it.

March 04, 2009  
Blogger Jim said...

You're still a baby my dear!! Stop worrying or those wrinkles will get worse! [said from one of the older gays who has embraced his daddy-ness]

March 04, 2009  
Blogger TonkaManOR said...

BP, you are not young......you're on the dark side of thirty, trying your best not to hit 40. So when will you start lying about your age?

March 05, 2009  
Blogger Tony (LT) said...

Age has never been anything I have concerned myself with. Maybe it's because I'm still younger than you. :-)

March 06, 2009  
Blogger savante said...

Madonna would be pleased at the transformation! :) And the homage!

March 08, 2009  
Blogger The Persian said...

"Growing old ranks right up there with one of the worst things that can happen to a gay man."

I think the worse part about nearing 40 (in the "gay world") is that I have grown up and want to be with/date someone my age, with some life experience.

Unfortunately all I seem to find is guys my age chasing guys 10 or more years younger. (sigh)

I wouldn't worry about getting older Brett, you will still be (gym or not) a seriously hot man at 40, 50, hell even 60!

:)

March 10, 2009  
Blogger Mark in DE said...

Age is a state of mind. Beauty is in the eye of the beholder. Love the skin (body) you're in!

April 02, 2009  

Post a Comment

<< Home