Monday, November 17, 2008

Who's That Girl?


One by one, my former classmates showed up to celebrate our 20 year reunion on Saturday night. Nearly everyone had a spouse in hand. I was Shrew-less on this occasion, but I was in good company with my twin brother and his new girlfriend. Before we talked to anyone else, we downed a few beers to get our liquid courage up. I secretly knew that I was going to be fine.

It was amazing how I was able to correctly identify most of my classmates even though twenty years have passed since I last saw them. It was only the rare occasion where I had to ask, "Who is that Girl?" The beautiful hairdos on the females were a stark contrast to the I-don't-want-to-miss-the-bus ten minute hairdos I remembered back in the day.

When the clock struck 8pm, we were all given name tags with our Senior class yearbook photo. Yuck. I looked like a malnourished twerp! Before I could dwell on how I hated my photo, a girl named Chere' approached me and announced that I was her date for the night. (She used to date my twin brother.) Ahem.

The first person I met was my Kindergarten girlfriend. She was sporting "chemically enhanced" blonde hair. She introduced me to her husband and showed me pics of her young boys. She even married a guy that had the same first three letters in his last name as I did! LOL.

Afterwards, I walked up to an Asian friend of mine. He introduced me to his beautiful wife and announced that I was his best friend in High School. Apparently, my memory has become so jaded that I stuffed some good things away. He WAS my best friend in High School! We reminisced how we used to study together in the library and all the times I played basketball at his house. This reunion was turning out to be good for lost memories.

Chere' was back in my arms. Whoops. Did I accidentally ditch her? She made sure that I didn't forget again by keeping her arm intertwined with mine. It was actually okay to have company. Who really wants to go to one of these things alone?

So, we walked around together arm-in-arm meeting others and taking pictures. I probably gave everyone the wrong impression that I am a closeted straight person.

Well, there was that one time on the dance floor where I was scolded for twirling around too many times. My embarrassed brother told me that I was giving myself away!

At that point, his girlfriend screamed... "Let's make a Brett sandwich!" So, here I was bumping and grinding on the dance floor with two girls. I could see the full-mouth-open expression on the faces of my classmates. They were probably saying, "Who IS that Girl?" too.

Originally, I had only planned to spend two hours at the Reunion. I was having so much fun, that five hours passed lickity split. Chere' and I even went to a nearby bar and continued on with our date dancing to a band until midnight! Yep. My Mama and Daddy would have been so proud of their gay son.

The best part of the experience was seeing how much I had changed. I was now armed with social skills. My classmates were able to see the person who I had become. For someone who used to be so quiet (Chere's word was "stuck up"), I was able to show them my true personality. I encourage you all to go to your very next class reunion. You will not regret it.

16 Comments:

Anonymous durban bud said...

For the love of God, please post your senior class yearbook photo.

Thanks in advance.

November 17, 2008  
Blogger AJohnP said...

I knew you'd have fun!!

And I'm with db...that picture needs to be seen.

November 17, 2008  
Blogger cb said...

Oh dude. You went to the dark side.

I know you think that it's worth it now... but some stones are just better left unturned.

November 17, 2008  
Blogger mikeinbama said...

That's great. Please post that high school photo :)

I'm happy you ahd a great time at the reunion.

November 17, 2008  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Good for you! My 20 year reunion is next year and I am looking forward to it...there are a number of people I would like to see and I honestly hope they are doing well.

Once I realized that high school sucked for almost everyone there was no good reason to be nervous about seeing my classmates.

Also, tell your brother that even in the deepest parts of the south and the most remote parts of america...most people have come into contact with gay people and have cable TV...so a few extra twrils on the dance floor isn't all that shocking.

DC Chris

November 17, 2008  
Anonymous Jeff said...

Either post that picture here or email it to me.

November 17, 2008  
Blogger publius100 said...

See--told you to go.

November 17, 2008  
Blogger TonkaManOR said...

"Stuck up"? You? ...

November 17, 2008  
Blogger Ur-spo said...

I remember my high school reunion but probably not for 'good reason' - I was doing so much better than most of them; I was in better shape; the valevictorian had gone to hell; the jocks were in lousy shape.
Living well is the best revenge.

November 17, 2008  
Blogger Scott said...

I remember going to my 7th year HS reunion, we skipped the five so everyone coule accomplish something, either finish college or move on the the second divorce...Alas all of my classmates told me they would rather have known the gay me in High School as I was much more fun out, loud and dosed up on liquid courage.

It was definitly an interesting experience to look back on High School and how we have all changed.

November 18, 2008  
Blogger Ice John's World said...

Good for you!

November 18, 2008  
Blogger cb said...

I also love how everyone is saying "good for you" even though you went-- but left your husband behind, and had to butch it up at the request of your twin.

Sounds like you were not really "you" at the thing.

November 18, 2008  
Blogger Brettcajun said...

CB:

I was being the Social Butterfly me. The only thing I wasn't doing was kissing boys. I did kiss on my date and slow danced with her. It was quite scandalous! But she totally already knew I was gay and we talked about it at the reunion. It was great fun we shared.

November 18, 2008  
Anonymous jimbo said...

I was terrible at identifying my classmates at our 15th reunion. I missed the 5 and 10 year, and had forgotten so many faces and names, and I don't get back home much to see them as a reminder.

It's useful to review your yearbook before a class reunion...I will be before our 20th!

November 18, 2008  
Anonymous johnmichael said...

I think I'm going to have to go to my next class reunion, because I feel I've changed too (and for the better).

November 18, 2008  
Blogger Zeitzeuge said...

sounds like you had a great time. I enjoyed my 20th. We were suppose to have a 25th this year, but it didn't happen so hopefully there will be a 30th planned.

Oh and I'm with Durban, post your class photo!

November 23, 2008  

Post a Comment

<< Home