Wednesday, March 19, 2008

Pecking Order in the Henhouse


The great Thorleif Schjelderup-Ebbe discovered that chickens were organized by a system called "pecking order". In this system, a chicken pecks another of lower rank, while submitting to pecking from one of higher rank. The top chicken can peck any hen it wants. The bottom chicken constantly get pecked on, but cannot peck any of the other ones. From top to bottom, there is a pecking order established creating an organized social structure in the henhouse. It creates order where every chicken basically knows things like: who gets to eat first, who gets to shit in the community water, and who has first dibs where they lay an egg.

This applies to all facets of our lives. In fact, I can easily see this on the tennis courts. There are some chickens higher up in the pecking order that I cannot beat peck like Kevin W., Brian D., and Ken. Well, Ken is actually more like an old hen than a chicken, but you get the point! It hurts to be pecked on in tennis, but I understand my place in the pecking order.

In the blogworld, there are many different pecking orders. For example, I am like a bottom chicken in the perceived "smarts" department. It's not that I am really dumb. I just don't show that side of me. I prefer to sit on top the roost and peck everyone else in other departments. (i.e., Most Boorish, Immature, Popular, etc.) My top comb is still healing from getting pecked on in blogger political dustups last month.

Thinking of the concept of "Pecking Order", the important thing is that you choose something you are good at and focus on that. Don't fret if someone has a better career or car than you. They are probably the bottom chicken in several areas where you are the top. Just think about that next time who are feeling you are at the bottom of the pecking order.

5 Comments:

Anonymous john said...

You can come and peck me any time you feel the need to move up the totem pole

March 19, 2008  
Anonymous durban bud said...

*peck*

March 19, 2008  
Blogger Lewis said...

Me thinks me am more dumb than I was before I read this post. Don't have any idea who I am now!

March 19, 2008  
Blogger Timmy said...

pecking order. getting peed on. it's all the same...well, sorta.

March 19, 2008  
Blogger Moby said...

It's ok to admit you are a bottom Brett. Really! *EG*

March 20, 2008  

Post a Comment

<< Home