Thursday, May 10, 2007

Distractions Cramp My Writing


For the third time in over a year, I am writing my SciFi novel again. Hold the laughs. It is very hard to write about something that has absolutely nothing to do with me. Look you bitches... I challenge any of you to not write about yourself, your life, or whatever drama you are currently going through. And that includes ICHAT/AIM/Yahoo Instant Messenger/Bear411 you fuckers! With the internet and buddy lists readily available on my Mac Book Pro, it is just too easy to get distracted while trying to write.

My Dachshunds are further distractions cramping my writing style. Now, mind you, I do LOVE the company. It is just that Boudreaux and Pierre, being the co-dependent dogs that they are, must either lay on my lap or on top of me at all times. They are relentless in trying to be close to me. I could fart, and the hairy rugrats wouldn't budge an inch! This means that the only way I can ever write on my Mac Book Pro is to creatively position my body to accomodate my dogs.

The temptation of the internet and the adoration of my furry children are not the only distractions. There are tennis tournaments I prepare for. Impaling Whipping Boy on the tennis court takes time away from my writing. I have to do all the household chores myself, as there are no illegal immigrants in my Parish. With a relatively high approval rating (translation: superstar!) with the handsy barfly crowd, I must work out. Gym time is something I absolutely cannot sacrifice. I suppose all these things help to explain why I have stopped and started writing three times in the past year!

Each break in writing isn't a total loss however. I do spend lots of time thinking about my story. I'll talk to E.Shrew about it just before his bedtime. (helps him sleep at night). Sometimes, I'll think about my writing while doing mundane tasks such as driving through bat shit crazy traffic. That was all time well spent in my book, because I have a great story in the works! Hell, if I don't interest my readers in the first five pages, then even my own mother wont read it. I would like for my book to be published one day. That is what my ego wants. (he is a slow learner)

So, my challenge is to balance writing with all the distractions. One good thing going for me is that I have never met a challenge that I couldn't hurdle over with a good dose of my OCD. Once that OCD has a fire lit under it, I am on the ground running baby! I have full confidence that my story is going to be way better than that snooze-fest drama they call Battlestar Gallatica on the SciFi channel!

9 Comments:

Blogger Lewis said...

I'm signed up for an all-day gardener's writing workshop tomorrow...bring my favorite gardening tool and a notepad for writing.

May 10, 2007  
Blogger Matthew said...

I think Brett is becoming obsessed with showin off his body now - :-) he he

May 10, 2007  
Blogger Pete said...

You should carry a tape recorder with you so you dictate your book and then pay someone to type your dictations up.

May 10, 2007  
Blogger lifescolorfulbrushstrokes said...

Ok Blue-eyes...must you continue to tease me with these photos of you. Must I still wait for the authentic pieces???? I'm going to have to come out there soon and whoop you if you don't produce. LOL

May 10, 2007  
Anonymous Mikey said...

You can't be serious with that photo of your shirt unbuttoned. It's a joke, right?
Cheesy!

May 11, 2007  
Blogger BRETTCAJUN said...

It's part of the "distractions" theme. (LOL!)

May 11, 2007  
Blogger hbjock said...

It's ok sweetness, you're not the only one who's had no time or brain power to write these days. So much is going on at work here that when I get home, I just don't have the desire to do anything. :)

May 12, 2007  
Anonymous Jim (The Canuck One) said...

I wish I hadn't read this - I just finished signing up to ScriptFrenzy and was worried about finding time next month. (I know I know, you MAKE time to write, you don't FIND it.)

And the so-called "cheesy" picture fits nicely into the distraction theme nicely. Yum, by the way.

May 13, 2007  
Blogger SRQ BOY said...

Very nice picture! Hope to talk to you soon, and everything is going well for you. Take care! -Shaun

May 21, 2007  

Post a Comment

<< Home