Thursday, February 23, 2006

Woe is the Foe who goes against me...

I was in some ass kicking mood yesterday! I was a man on a mission... fueled on endorphins. I left the gym with my muscles swelled up with a redbull and a protein bar in my hands. I was ready to face my arch-nemises on the tennis courts.... Whipping Boy Tom. He has been getting cocky lately. It was time to knock him back down and show him the proper pecking order in the tennis playing world of Brett.

Tennis is a mental game. That is why I dominate. I am very strategic. Most importantly, I REFUSE TO LOSE! LOSING IS FOR LOSERS!!!! That's my MOTTO. I don't congratulate my opponent and say "nice shot" or "nice game". They are the enemy that MUST BE DESTROYED. I seek out their weaknesses, and then I bring them to their knees in doom. That's why I am a champ. I have that killer instinct. That killer instinct propels me to victory... that is if I stay healthy on the courts.

Last night, I was humming along leading Whipping Boy 5-3. It seemed like it was going to be the same old same old 6-3 set win for me. But no... Whipping Boy came back from his pending doom. He rattled off three straight wins. I was now down 6-5 to the MOFO! GRRRRR.... I was NOT going to lose this final game. I earned win #6, and we had the set all tied up at 6-6. We were now going to play the very heartwrenching 7th game tiebreaker.

Whipping Boy SHOCKINGLY jumped out to an early lead. This was NOT going to be one of those "Miracles on Ice" wins for Whipping Boy. I refused to lose. I fought back. It was now 4-3 in favor of Tom. This was a critical time for me. Whipping Boy then hit a thunderous bullet at me. I was between the midcourt line and the net. I swiftly returned his bullet back to his side of the net. It was at that moment that my right wrist gave way to a sudden and sharp pain. To my horror, Tom returned my shot. In pain, I grasped my racquet with both hands to score the important point. Why was it important? It tied our game at 4-4 in the tiebreaker game thus ensuring bragging rights was whisked away from Whipping Boy. I was in pain. My wrist felt like it had a major case of carpal tunnel syndrome. I threw my racquet down and told Tom that I couldn't play anymore. Thankfully, he was a good sport about it. I think he finally believed me when he saw the swelling.

Ahhh... the limitations of the human body. In retrospect, I have to stop letting my competitive spirit dictate such a rigid day for me. I worked out TWICE yesterday before the tennis match. Even though I feel invincible after a good workout, reality says otherwise today. I do hope my wrist heals up soon for the gay Austin tennis tournament next month! If my wrist doesn't heal up today, I'll need some of you boys as volunteers for a very important JOB. ;)

7 Comments:

Anonymous Tom aka Whipping Boy said...

2 in a row

February 23, 2006  
Blogger savante said...

Whoa, what kinda job are you offering for the boys?

paul

February 23, 2006  
Blogger BRETTCAJUN said...

Yes, two in a row matches that ended early as DRAWS. We need to seriously play tennis as much as possible in the next few weeks. I have been spending all my time working out when I should be preparing to WIN the Austin Tournament. We have to play complete matches so we get our stamina up.

February 23, 2006  
Blogger Homer said...

My resume is in the mail.

February 23, 2006  
Anonymous Tony said...

Brett-

I am in line for 'employment.' What can I do to 'serve' you (pun definitely intended)? I'll be your whipping boy an you can practice 'destroyin' me.'

On a serious note...two workouts in one day. Too much for the body. Your body takes in the benfits of onnly so much and after that it reaches a point of no return (no physcial benefit). Cut back a bit you handsome 'thang' and rest the body. Get your exercise by focusin on some of te tennis alone for the tornament.

February 23, 2006  
Blogger Derek said...

I've been practicing. You getting ready for next week and all the wildness?

February 23, 2006  
Anonymous Tony said...

Ok Brett!

Fess up! Who is the 'man with the deep voice' that Moby's got the hots for????

February 23, 2006  

Post a Comment

<< Home