Sunday, February 05, 2006

Saturday Lunging

Fabio and Gobblet are two very skittish colts. We failed miserably trying to put halters on them. We finally had an idea about coaxing them through an alley way on the way to the lunging ring with a bucket of food.

This is Goblet's first run in the lunging ring. I felt bad for him. He had so much trouble trying to figure out what we were trying to make him do. We had to whip the shit out of him to make him run in the right direction in the lunging ring. This is a regrettable part about training a horse, but it must be done.

Afterwards, you have to see if the horse wants to be your friend. It takes plenty running (and whipping in Gobblet's case) before the horse figures out that being your friend is much more desirable to getting whipped and ran hard in the lunging ring.

Fabio cantered in the lunging ring like a pro. This was the third time we have lunged Fabio. Very seldom did we have to use the whip on him. Fabio ran well, then changed direction perfectly when we wanted him to. It was a treat to see Fabio do such a great job.
This is a picture of me lunging Fabio. E.Shrew took more pictures of me lunging Goblet and Fabio, but this is the only one where I didn't look fat or nellie running with a whip. (lol!)

After running Fabio hard around the lunging ring successfully, I am showing him some appreciation. I am letting him know he can be my friend.

Both horses did a great job. I am smiling because our efforts to lunge Fabio and Gobblet paid off. It requires a lot of patience, but the job is very rewarding. We walked away feeling we accomplished something wonderful with these still very young and somewhat wild colts.

3 Comments:

Blogger Homer said...

I promise to run in the right direction so you won't have to whip me.

February 05, 2006  
Blogger Hypoxic said...

I wish I could find a job like that. I know it must be hard work, but it looks like so much fun.

February 05, 2006  
Blogger TonyM said...

Thats so cool that you have horses to play with. I'd love to go riding with you.

February 05, 2006  

Post a Comment

<< Home